Here in the Pacific Northwest (PNW), we can get any type of precipitation in the winter — rain, snow, a mix of the two. My prior pair of winter pants were soft shells, which I found did not keep me dry in this mashup of winter weather; so I set out looking for a pair of pants that would handle mixed activities and weather conditions.
What: Eddie Bauer’s Heyburn 2.0 Pants
Where to Buy: Eddie Bauer store on Amazon.com
Would I recommend to my best friend: Yes
Rating: 4 out of 5
As part of the Eddie Bauer’s First Ascent line, I was not 100% sure I wanted to order a brand I hadn’t tried before. However, Eddie Bauer was having a sale, and I wanted to see if I liked anything. Though they have great colors, I chose the safer option and went with black (pictures below).
As a ski pant, the Heyburn’s have it all! Great for skiing or winter outdoor activities that allows easy movement. The pants are windproof and water resistant and have built-in gaiters. I do add a base layer under the pant for added warmth.
One of the features that sold me was the amount of pockets. As a woman, I find it hard to find pants with storage with a great fit and technical performance.
- Adjustable waist. Since I find myself get more in shape towards the end of the season, this adjustable feature allows me to adjust depending on my weight and the layers I tuck into or underneath them.
- Pockets with sealed zippers. There are so many pockets on these pants; I can store my cell phone or snacks or ski pass in the pockets and know they are safe.
- Built-in gaiters. Along with the gaiters, a thicker, protective material prevents ripping and tearing if wearing crampons.
- Vents. There are vents along the inseam of the inner thigh to release any trapped heat.
- Loud. These pants sound like wind pants I wore back in the 90s. If you are walking around, you will be heard.
- Wide-legged. Unlike my previous soft shell pants, they are wide. It is fine for the ski slopes since they fit nicely over bulky ski boots, but may limit ease of movement if mountaineering.
The pros outweigh the cons, and I will definitely be considering more of Eddie Bauer’s First Ascent women’s clothing line in the future. These pants are perfect for my winter activities in the conditions we receive in the PNW!
About the author:
Get Gear, Do Good.
Want to support Outdoor Women's Alliance community without dipping into your adventure budget?
If you're in the market for gear, keep in mind that every purchase from REI, Backcountry.com, Liftopia (and other links via our site!) will kick back a donation to Outdoor Women's Alliance — at no extra cost to you!